Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Life Time Journey...

Sometimes, relationships exist only for hours or days and this might result in a relation with a stranger that may last for lifetime. Well I happened to make a special friend while journeying, and the memory of it is still intact within me like a photograph captured at a momentous period. I was travelling to Delhi via Jhelum Express in a two-tier AC compartment with other co-passengers; when suddenly a dark haired fair and handsomely built man enquired from me about his seat number. Hesitant though, I answered and the vacant seat opposite to mine turned out to be his. And since I was a lone traveller I was reluctant to speaking with him thinking of the horrible consequences that he might misuse my solitariness. Until now I had this hitch in my mind to avoid foreigners, as they all are considered druggists, at least firangs in India are. He introduced him as Francesco from France, who in spite being a French had fluency in English. Initially I ignored him, then he put forward more questions and eventually I succumbed to his queries by answering all that he wanted to know.


Though my initial disliking for him was unreasonable, I found him interesting, soon we were engrossed in our discussions getting to know each other better. I didn’t know what was happening to me, I knew I was certainly attracted to him but I kept denying to myself. We both quickly developed a sense of understanding in each other in mere two days of journey and an intense friendship developed I ever felt for anyone. It is surprising even for me that having a suspicious mind for almost every thing, I ended up becoming friend with a foreigner! Although it was a small journey it felt like we both have been together since years. There was compatibility in our company. On our way to Delhi, we shared our food, life history and part of our occupational hazards, as I say. A part of Discovery Channel was he, which was the most interesting part about him; his occupation had taken him to all over the Indian sub continent. When finally we reached Delhi, he was supposed to leave for his country and with me all alone, he promised to ring up once he reaches home. Generous and kind by nature, he almost stole the air in me and made me realise that people cannot be judged by boundaries. He stuck to his promise and then after a year he returned to India only to take me along to his motherland.


Timing is essential and everything is destined,
today I am here, happily married bestowed with a year old baby. I sometimes start wondering that if my parents were not to call me back in Delhi, would I meet him elsewhere and be blessed with such a loving family that I have?

No comments: